Anyone who works in a building firm’s accounts department is likely to have a talent for numbers, and Michael Evans is no exception. And as last season drew to a close, the numbers that became most important were the ones showing his position in the Hudson Contract Fantasy Football League.
“The season before, I lost on the final day – my mistake was to pick a team without Harry Kane – and I sulked all weekend!” Michael can laugh about it now, but this time round it looked as if his campaign was again doomed to failure. “I didn’t get off to the greatest start, but I improved my position week by week as the season continued. Things started to go right in Game Week 17, when I leapt from being 165,000 out of almost six million players to 82,000. Obviously there was still a long way to go and with two weeks to go I was in the top 15,000. By then, I thought I was in with a chance of the big prize from Hudson Contract.”
Southampton supporter Michael works for Surrey-based T Brown Group, a property maintenance company that looks after over 250,000 units in the South of England and Wales. His adversary for the £1,000 prize was former two-time winner and fellow Hudson Contract client Craig Johnson.
“I knew Craig would be tough to beat, and in the end I got a bit lucky,” Michael confesses. “I’d saved the triple captain until the penultimate week, and this time, I put all my faith in Harry Kane, which turned out to be a good decision!”
When the season’s final whistle blew, Michael was top of the Hudson Contract league – beating his rival by the slender margin of 25 points.
“Definitely no sulking this time round!” Michael says. “I’m delighted to have won the £1,000 and I’m using it to take my girlfriend to Italy.”
Michael’s tips for next season
“I’ve been playing for five years now and I usually begin by picking two cheap goalkeepers that I can rotate. Then big hitters – Kane and Salah were the obvious choices once the season hotshots were established – and attacking midfielders to try to get a decent spine to the team. So far as transfers are concerned, I go with form and take the next five or so fixtures into account. And unless I get off to a dreadful start, I try to save the first wild card until at least week nine or ten.”
Entries now open for this year’s Fantasy Football Competition – and that £1,000 prize
If you entered last year, you will automatically rejoin the Hudson Contract league when you log on at fantasy.premierleague.com
If you’re taking part for the first time, sign up at fantasy.premierleague.com to pick your team, then click on the Leagues tab, click on the Join a New League option, choose Private League and enter the code 277325-57518
- Anyone can enter the Hudson Contract Fantasy Football league (a classic league within Fantasy Premier League).
- To be eligible to win the £1,000 prize pot, the player must be an employee of an active Hudson Contract client or a sub-contractor engaged through an active Hudson Contract client. Active is determined as making payments within two weeks of the final game of the season.
- It is the responsibility of the winner to contact Hudson Contract, via email to email@example.com, to claim their prize. The prize must be claimed within the two weeks following the end of the league season.
- Previous winners may enter the league, however are ineligible to win the prize pot. In the instance of a previous winner topping the league, the prize will go to the second place player. In this scenario Hudson Contract will make all attempts to contact the player, details of which will be posted on this forum.
- All participants accept that they will have no claim against Hudson Contract, whatsoever and agree to give Hudson Contract a complete liability release from any and all legal liability in connection with the promotion.
- Hudson Contract accepts no liability or responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected, incomplete or undelivered, nor any liability for technical errors or communication failures in networks and/or internet access or for any other reason. Proof of submitting an entry will not be accepted as proof of receipt by the promoter.
- Hudson Contract reserves the right at any time to change, update or amend these Terms & Conditions. An updated version of the Terms and Conditions would be published as soon as possible.
- Hudson Contract reserves the right at any time and from time to time to amend, discontinue, temporarily or permanently withdraw this promotion and these Terms & Conditions without prior notice due to reasons outside their control, and the participants agrees that no liability shall be attached to the promoter as a result thereof.
- Hudson Contract reserves the right to cancel or amend the promotion and these Terms and Conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control. Any changes to the promotion will be notified to participants as soon as possible by the promoter.